Ah the glamorous life of the work-from-office mom…run around like a complete crazy person every morning getting everybody dressed, fed, lunches packed, backpacks ready, you presentable, coffee poured, temper-tantrum calmed, and, and, and… It’s no wonder that we’re the first to ignore our needs to get everybody else out the door! A lot of the time this ends up looking like the drive-thru at Starbucks and rolling up to the office without a plan to fuel your day.
Is this you? I get it! (If not, check out my list of 40 healthy, kid-friendly snacks!)
This is why I make sure my office desk drawer is stocked with healthy but non-perishable foods. An annoying colleague wait until noon to schedule a 1:00 meeting (again) that will ruin your chances of going out to get regular macro day lunch? Nope! I got oatmeal and protein powder on hand. Client drama spike on low carb day? Nope! I’m ready to conquer with almonds, cashews, tuna packets and beef jerky!
I bring my breakfast and lunch to the office everyday built around my “drawer staples” but when life gets in the way, I can still meet my macro goals.
Here is a list of all my favorite snacks that I either always or sometimes keep in my drawer at work. Some are intentionally heartier than others so I can make into a meal if I absolutely have to. Remember, this is simply a fall-back plan and not your main fuel for the day.
Favorite Office Desk Drawer Staples
- Amazing Grass protein powder packs (my usual at-home brand is Orgain, but I feel like Amazing Grass blends so easy with just water and a shaker cup that this is my at-work brand for when I have no choice but to make this a meal.)
- Starkish Tuna Packets (add this with some crackers or whole grain chips and you’re set!)
- Gluten-free oatmeal packets (this is the reining MVP of all drawer staples because this is how I break my fast Wednesdays-Fridays!)
- Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (I make “protein tea” in the afternoons with decaf tea and one scoop of collagen)
- Liquid Stevia (Because let’s be real, offices only ever have Splenda or bleached sugar)
- Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts (Low-Carb Day champion! Add this to oatmeal, salads, etc. to get extra fat and protein in with barely any carbs)
- Dry Roasted Almonds
- Dry Roasted Cashews
- GoMacro Bars (perfectly balanced for Regular Macro Days and satisfies a sweet craving)
- Rx Bars (blueberry is my favorite!)
- Quest Bars (good in a pinch, but GoMacro & Rx have MUCH better ingredients)
- Gluten-free granola
- Beef Sticks (make sure you’re selecting a non-preservative version of beef sticks or jerky. Bonus points if it’s grass-fed beef!)
- Simple Mills Almond Flour Crackers (I have to be careful about these because I’ll eat the whole box BUT they now have snack-size pre-portioned bags so something to consider to pair with tuna packets)
- Multigrain chips like Food Should Taste Good or Trader Joe’s Veggie & Flaxseed (another possible stumbling block for portions)
- Herbal and/or decaf tea (great afternoon pick-me-up and I like my “protein tea” mentioned above)
- Coffee kCups (If your office has a kCup machine but has junky flavors, I sometimes keep some organic coffee cups in my desk)
- LaCroix (my former colleague often kept a case under her desk!)
What are some of your favorite office desk-drawer staples?