Recent studies have shown that sharing your health goals on social media, especially Instagram, can help you create accountability and be more successful in achieving your goals. When you’re accountable to only yourself, you may be more likely to lose motivation.
Here are some ways to utilize Instagram in your Health Journey
1. Create a new Instagram account where you will only post about your health journey.
Back when I was posting photos of food and workouts within my personal Instagram feed, I felt I was alienating some of my friends and family. I also had my account set to private, which meant I couldn’t utilize hashtags, gain new followers, or really take advantage of the wonderful community Instagram has to offer. Once I created @belowthefork though, all those hesitations about Internet security went away! I was encouraged to fully share my health journey without worrying what other people thought. I was then able to have a public profile, in which I attracted others to follow me so in return I could help motivate and encourage them too.
- To create a new Instagram account, name it something simple like your name and goal. For example, “Meridithgetsfit” or “MersHealthJourney.”
- Put in your profile that you will be posting photos of food and workouts.
- Set your new account to public.
- If Internet security is a concern, don’t include any family photos in your new account.
- Announce on your personal Instagram and Facebook that you’ve created this new account, and that you would love people to join you over there. This will also help with accountability when you let your friends and family know what you are up to.
- Begin posting only photos related to your health journey on your new account.
2. Utilize hashtags so you can find inspiration & others can find inspiration in you, too!
Hashtags are a great way to connect with similar content topics and users on social media. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been perusing photos on Instagram, see a post of a delicious looking meal, and then end up creating a new recipe based on an ingredient or method used in their meal.
- My favorite hashtags to search are:
3. View Instagram as a community; be part of the conversation.
Commenting on other people’s posts, asking questions, or asking for recipes is one of the greatest and most under-utilized features of Instagram. I have made some really great connections on Instagram, simply because I was interested in learning more about another person’s post. I have also found some excellent blogs and very positive women. These are the people who will support you in your journey and genuinely root you on! How’s that for accountability?
For more tips and benefits of utilizing Instagram in your health journey, please watch my video taken from my 2/22/16 broadcast on Periscope (@belowthefork)