Just a few days ago I was stock piling Watermelon Strawberry Cucumber Juice to help beat the heat, and today I’m blending up hot soup to get rid of the chill! Weird weather here in PA.
This is really nothing more than a heated up smoothie—which means it’s super easy to make, and a cozy method of adding more whole foods to your daily noms. Isn’t it also nice to know EXACTLY what’s in your soup, without the fear of hidden MSG and other chemicals? I used the medium cup of my NutriNinja DUO with Auto IQ, but this can easily be made in a standard blender, or using the large cup of the NutriBullet.
Disclosure: In my original preparation, I used leftover Almond Pesto I had on hand, but for the purposes of this written recipe, I have simply broken out those ingredients (basil, garlic, and EVOO) and omitted the almonds so that you don’t need to worry about leftovers but still get the same great taste.
SUPER GREENS SOUP
Prep Time: 5 minutes |Total Time: 10 minutes| Servings: 1-2
- 1.5 cups greens (I used a trio of spinach, kale and Swiss chard)
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (I used Wegman’s Far East Stir Fry mix. Choose something with broccoli, green beans, and red peppers. Avoid corn and peas.)
- 3 leaves fresh basil
- 2 tsp minced garlic (or 1-2 cloves)
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 med tomato
- 1.5 cups water
- Place all the ingredients in a blender
- Blend until liquidy
- Pour mixture into a sauce pan and heat on medium
- Transfer to bowl(s)